Standing District Meetings
Committee Meetings – Calvary Baptist Church, 4832 Haygood Rd, Virginia Beach
- District Committee Meeting: 6:30 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month
Roundtable – Calvary Baptist Church, 4832 Haygood Rd, Virginia Beach
- Cub Scout Roundtable: Second Tuesday, 7:15 PM
- Boy Scout Roundtable: Second Tuesday, 7:15 PM
Commissioners Meeting – Council Service Center 1032 Heatherwood Dr, Virginia Beach, VA
- Time: 7:00 p.m., Meetings are typically held on last Thursday of the month
- Cape Henry Chapter Meeting – Church of the Holy Family, 1279 N. Great Neck Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454, 7:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month
- Powhatan Chapter Meeting – Wesley Grace UMC Scout House, 288 E. Little Creek Road, Norfolk 23505, 7:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month
- The church is located at the Interstate 64 exit, and the Scout House is to the left of the church.
Come on out and honor your fellow Scouters! We will be serving a great meal at the Bayside District Awards Breakfast. There are many different awards for each program. The Awards Selection Committee is particularly interested in your reasons why you feel a Scouter, Cubber or Commissioner deserves to be recognized. Award winners will be announced at the District Awards Breakfast on Saturday, April 7, 2018, location TBD.
Any registered Scouter, any unregistered parent, or friend of Scouting may make nominations for any award. The District Award of Merit is a council award presented by districts in the same manner that the Silver Beaver is a national award presented by councils. The award is available to Scouters who render service of an outstanding nature at the district level. Other awards that you can submit someone for include but are not limited to:
- Scouter of the Year
- Lion/Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Webelos Den Leader of the Year (5 awards)
- Cubmaster of the Year
- Scoutmaster of the Year
- Chartered Organization Representative of the Year
The District Award of Merit nominations and all other award nominations must be received on or before February 10, 2018. No forms will be accepted after this day!!! Nomination packages were emailed to the Key-3 of each unit and will be available on the district website
Family Friends of Scouting
Now is the time to schedule your unit’s annual Family Friends of Scouting Presentation. This 10-minute presentation is given by volunteers explaining why the council needs your support and assistance. Please email Richard Becker with your date, time, and location.
Now is the time to check everyone’s training records before charter renewal. Your unit’s Key Three can down load a spreadsheet with everyone’s YPT expiration date. Use that to have the person(s) whose YPT will expire before December 31, 2018 take the training now to prevent problems later. If no one is changing positions, then you don’t need to check that.
But if you do, you may need to use Training Validation under the Legacy tab to check other trainings.
Journey to Excellence
The district is asking you to track how your unit is doing on the journey. Here is how the district is doing. Bayside ended October as a Silver District. Of the sixteen (16) items the district is measured on; your unit has a direct influence on thirteen (13).
- Fundraising – Currently unrated
- Fundraising Manpower – Currently Bronze
- Market Share – not rated; no growth; we are serving only 5.25% of the population
- Membership Growth – Bronze with 0.65% increase in membership over September last year
- New Member Recruiting – Bronze with a 2.39% increase
- Membership Retention – Gold at 78.44%
- Cub Scout Advancement – Gold at 74.9%
- Boy Scout Advancement – Gold at 49%
- Cub Scout Camping – not rated; 31.1% went camping
- Boy Scout Camping – Gold; 69.2% camping
- Service Hours – Bronze; 3.82 man-hours/scout
- Unit Retention – Silver at 94.4%
- Unit Visitations – Silver at 42.3 having five or more visits
- Unit JTE – Gold with 71% units achieving Bronze or higher
- District Committee – not rated
- Leaders Trained – Gold with 100% trained