Standing District Meetings
Roundtable & Committee Meetings – Haygood UMC, 4713 Haygood Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
- Cub Scout Roundtable: Second Tuesday, 7:15 PM
- Boy Scout Roundtable: Second Tuesday, 7:15 PM
- District Committee Meeting: 6:30 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month
- Cape Henry Chapter Meeting – Church of the Holy Family, 1279 N. Great Neck Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454, 7:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month
- Powhatan Chapter Meeting – Wesley Memorial UMC Scout House, 288 E. Little Creek Road, Norfolk 23505, 7:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month
- The church is located at the Interstate 64 exit, and the Scout House is to the left of the church.
Commissioners Meeting – Council Service Center 1032 Heatherwood Dr, Virginia Beach, VA
- Time: 7:00 p.m., Meetings are typically held on last Thursday of the month
The next Roundtable meeting will be held on August 8 at Haygood United Methodist Church – note the change in location.
Finish First Planning
The next planning meeting for the Princess Anne / Bayside Fall Camporee is at the Council Service Center on August 21. Camporee Planning Meeting details and contact information is available here.
The summer is time to start planning your fall recruiting event(s). There are several things that the most successful units have done
- Develop a relationship with the school. The does service projects, helps out at school events, and makes their presence known
- Promotion outside of what council provides. They promote joining Scouts at other activities and events they attend. This may be their chartered partner or school carnivals, popcorn sales, or have yard signs that move around the different parent’s homes.
The district would like every unit to attempt the following
- Have an information booth at the school’s Meet & Greet before school opens. This is not a recruiting event, but an opportunity to tell the new parents about Scouts and when/where you meet. Have a handout prepared and sign-in sheet for more information
- If you community or chartered partner has a Back to School event, be there to support them and have an information booth.
- Have an information booth at the PTA Open House.
- Schedule a recruiting event where the parents can come to your meeting and see what Scouts do and the fun you have.
Participating in local outreach events for students returning to school is a good way to let people know about your unit. You can find out about most local events from the newspaper, your school, and online. Contact the organizer and ask if you can set up an information booth. Even you don’t have a booth, ask your youth to attend the event in uniform. Have information with you about how to join your Pack or Troop.
Be prepared to tell the new parents why you are involved in Scouting. What does your family get out of being in Scouting? What fun activities have you done?