Princess Anne District
Princess Anne district serves every Virginia Beach community south of Interstate 264 and Knotts Island, NC.
|Commissioner Meeting||1st Tuesday||7:00 PM||St Andrew’s UMC, 717 Tuscon Rd||Joe Perry|
|Committee Meeting||1st Tuesday||7:00 PM||St Andrew’s UMC, 717 Tuscon Rd||Tom Williams|
|Cub Scout Roundtable||2nd Tuesday||7:00 PM||LDS Church, 4784 Princess Anne Rd|
|Boy Scout Roundtable||2nd Tuesday||7:00 PM||LDS Church, 4784 Princess Anne Rd|
More than half the Cub Scout packs have already established a fall recruit. The district is striving to achieve at least 400 new members with the fall recruit. To accomplish that, everyone has to work a recruiting plan.
- September – every elementary school has a set recruit date, giving every boy a chance to join Cub Scouts. Establish new packs at schools that do not have a direct and singular relationship with a Cub Scout pack. Get recruit dates to Dana Mott who will get flyers printed.
- October – do a second attempt recruit at every school. It’s a great time to catch the kids who are ending a fall sports season, and get them to try Scouts. There will be continued effort to build packs so every school has “their” pack. Get recruit dates to Dana Mott who will get flyers printed.
- November – zone recruits in public places, libraries, fast food restaurants, family friendly venues. Packs support that recruit with representatives at those locations.
- December – clean sweep. Follow up on every outstanding lead, from BeAScout, advancement error lists, calls etc. Every family who inquired is enrolled.
- Troops and crews – host at least one open house with members inviting potential members to come visit and join. Be sure to reach down to younger potential members. Always reaching out to a single age group establishes a timeline to drop the unit, not keep it going into the future.
- LDS troops and packs are actively participating with invite a friend / peer to peer recruiting.
Every application for youth needs to be submitted within one week of being completed. Parents expect their son to be a Scout immediately; we need to meet their expectation.
Princess Anne has almost 70 Scouting programs between packs, troops and crews. Adding 400 new members can definitely happen if everyone follow the old athletic shoe advertisement – “Just do it!”
Accident and Sickness Insurance
The per person insurance rate will be $12.00 per person with the 2017 charter renewal. This is the first rate increase for units in a number of years. The Tidewater Council continues to subsidize liability insurance costs.
A two-threshold unit incentive program was developed for 2017. The two thresholds are unit participation in Friends of Scouting and Product Sales.
A unit will be rewarded their incentive as a deposit in their unit account upon completion of their annual charter. The charter is considered completed when the registrar can process it through the computer system.
This chart illustrations the thresholds and incentives if one reaches the minimum number on both thresholds that is Friends of Scouting and Product Sales.
|Level||Average Friends of Scouting per Scout||Average Product Sales per Scout||Per Scout Unit Incentive|
|Bronze||$ 40.00||$ 150.00||$ 5.00|
|Silver||$ 50.00||$ 200.00||$ 7.50|
|Gold||$ 60.00||$ 250.00||$ 10.00|
The numbers in Friends of Scouting are average numbers for the entire unit. To determine this average, the council will take the total dollars raised by the unit by the end of the year and divide it by the number of youth that rechartered with the unit at the beginning of the year.
The numbers for the product sales are average numbers for the entire unit. To determine this average the council will take the total retail dollars of product sold, both Nuts and Popcorn, sold by that unit and divide it by the number of youth rechartered with the unit.
The average is based on the number of youth that are processed with the unit’s charter that was due in December of 2016.
This is easily flipped to establish goals for each unit. If a unit renewed with 20 Scouts, their goal for gold would be $1,200 in Friends of Scouting and $5,000 in combined popcorn and nut sales. Achieving both criteria will give that unit an incentive of $10.00 times the number of Scouts on the renewal submitted in December 2017. The executives can assist units with determining those numbers as needed.
Any unit in need of assistance in calculating goals, contact Dana Mott. Individual unit goals are available, but will not be publicly posted.
The incentive is a combined total. Making one, and not the other would not earn the incentive. If a unit is short on Friends of Scouting, there is still opportunity to improve their 2017 total. The fall popcorn and nut sale is in progress. Establish a goal for the unit to succeed and go for the gold.
Recruiting is a Year-Round Event
Every pack or troop has opportunities, planned or surprise events, to recruit new members throughout the year. Let the executive know what is going on. The council and district will do everything possible to support that membership success.
Getting flyers is made easy by filling in a few quick items on the custom Princess Anne flyer request. The necessary information is automatically sent in to your executive for processing.