1032 Heatherwood Dr, Virginia Beach, VA . 23455 joinTidewater@scouting.org 757-497-2688


Quick Links for Advancement

Advancement Contacts

Council Chair John Klemenc johnfklemenc@cox.net
Albemarle District Ethan Westbrook hellopep_99@yahoo.com
Bayside District Georg Dahl georg.dahl@cox.net
Princess Anne Paul Peter p.b.peter@att.net
Three Rivers John Crowder

Merit Badges and Scouts with Disabilities

In order to earn merit badges, Scouts must successfully complete all requirements as stated, no more, no less. Though this rule applies to Scouts with disabilities, some, because of the severity of their medical condition, are permitted to earn alternative badges in lieu of those required for the Eagle Scout rank. Topic “Alternative Merit Badges for Eagle Scout Rank” in the Guide to Advancement outlines the process.

The Individual Scout Advancement Plan, No. 512-936, is a resource that helps keep Scouts on track. The form affords Scouts the opportunity to work on advancement through creative thinking and action, effectively minimizing barriers. It simplifies the application and approval process for alternative requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks only. To qualify, Scouts must have a permanent physical or cognitive disability, or one expected to last more than two years or go beyond his 18th birthday. A link to this form is at the bottom of this page.

The Request for Registration Beyond the Age of Eligibility form, No. 512-935, has been developed to guide leaders on the essential steps and documentation needed to register Scouts beyond the usual age limits. To qualify, the Scout’s disability must be permanent and so severe that it significantly impacts his ability to understand or fulfill advancement requirements. If approved, he is given unlimited time to participate in Cub Scouting past age 12, Boy Scouting beyond age 18, or Venturing past age 21. Registration as a Special Needs Scout must be maintained annually. A link to this form is at the bottom of this page.

Working with Scouts with disAbilities

There was a recent survey done regarding Scouts with disabilities and the results are interesting. Approximately 15 percent of the youth in Scouting have some form of disabilities. Further survey analysis revealed specific disabilities amongst that 15 percent:

  • 47 percent of Scouts were identified with ADHD
  • 17 percent were identified on the autism spectrum
  • 10 percent were identified as “other,” which includes diagnoses not listed
  • 7 percent were identified as having learning disabilities
  • 5 percent were identified with emotional disabilities

To better assist those youth your district and the council need people to serve on the advancement committee as a Special Needs Specialist to help parents and Scouters deal with issues and to help those who need to apply for waiver; to do so. If you are interested in helping your district committee out talk to your district executive or district advancement chair. If you would like to serve on the council advancement committee contact the chair, John Klemenc. To help you in your unit there are the following resources available

Adams National Eagle Scout Service Project of the Year Award

On or before January 21 of each year, an Eagle Scout, his parents, or any registered BSA volunteer (with the Eagle Scout’s permission) may submit his Eagle Scout service project for consideration. The Scout must have passed his Eagle board of review in the prior calendar year (January 1 to December 31). Each council NESA committee will choose one winner from among the council nominees. The application can be downloaded from www.nesa.org.

 Official Materials Posted on Scouting.org

Other useful links for Advancement

  • Scholarship information for Eagle Scouts is available at www.nesa.org
  • Sons of the America Revolution Scholarship
  • Veterans Of Foreign Wars Scholarship Programs Call VFW Post 392 at 486-5875 and ask for the Scholarship Chairman.
  • The Office of the Governor now requires all letter requests from Eagle Scouts to be done electronically. Do not send a hand written or typed letter via the postal service. They are tracking the letters requested. Please go to: www.governor.virginia.gov, Connect (right hand bottom of the home page), Make a Request.
  • National Rifle Association Eagle Scout Recognition Certificate